We believe that inclusive education means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. We adapt both the Early Years Foundation Stage and the National Curriculum along with our learning environment for all pupils as well as those with SEN:
At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum there are some actions we may take to achieve this:
- Help all pupils achieve to the best of their abilities, despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- Use a range of teaching and learning styles
- Modify language presented to children by using visual prompts so instructions can be easily understood.
- Provide visual timetables to children so daily routines can be understood.
- Modify the curriculum/provision to meet individual needs, for example using additional resources to support joining in with group activities or quiet spaces to support listening and attention, using differentiated learning materials
- Ensure that teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils, through sharing good practice in staff meeting times and regular recall and review meetings.
- Offer additional resources/facilities to develop children’s interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum at an appropriate level.
- To make suitable provision for children with SEND to fully develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum. Children with high needs can be provided with their own box of resources for example a sensory box to support sensory or emotional needs.
We understand that children learn and develop in different ways. Teaching staff recognise this and use different teaching styles, resources and plan different levels of work in the nursery to cater for the various ways children learn.
More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan which you ca find in the School Policies section of our website.