The Governing Body of Witton-le-Wear Primary School has adopted the following principles and procedures:
- We have responsibility for determining, monitoring and keeping under review the broad policies, plans and procedures within which the school operates.
- We recognise that the Head teacher is responsible for the implementation of policy for the day-to-day management of the school and the implementation of the curriculum.
- We accept that all Governors have equal status and, although appointed by different groups,( I.E. parents, staff, LA, community), our overriding concern is for the welfare of the school as a whole.
- We have no legal authority to act individually, except when the Governing Body has given us delegated authority to do so.
- We have a duty to act fairly and without prejudice, and in so far as we have responsibility for staff, we will fulfil all that is expected of a good employer.
- We will encourage open governance and will act appropriately.
- We will consider carefully how our decisions may affect other schools.
- We acknowledge that accepting a role as a Governor involves the commitment of significant time and energy.
- We will involve ourselves actively in the work of the Governing Body, attend regularly and accept our fair share of responsibilities, including service in Committee or Working Groups.
- We will get to know the school well and respond to opportunities to involve ourselves in a range of school activities.
- We will give meaningful consideration to our individual and collective needs for training and development.
- We will observe complete confidentiality when required or asked to do so, especially regarding matters concerning individual staff or students.
- We will exercise the greatest prudence if a discussion of a potentially contentious issue affecting the school arises outside of The Governing Body.
- We will strive to work together effectively as a team
- We will seek to develop effective working relationships with the Head teacher, staff and parents, and with the LA and other relevant agencies within the local community.
- WE actively disclose when we as Governors may have links or relationships with members of school staff or those persons who may be providing services for the school which may impact upon decisions that we make as governors.
- We will encourage the open expression of views at meeting, but accept collective responsibility for all decisions made by the Governing Body or its delegated agents. This means that we will not speak out against the majority decisions in public, ( or private), outside of the Governing Body.
- We will only speak or act on behalf of the Governing Body when we have been specifically authorised to do so.
- In making or responding to criticism or complaints affecting the school we will follow the procedures established by the Governing Body.
- Our visits to school will be undertaken within a framework established by the Governing Body and agreed with the Head teacher.
- In discharging our duties we will always be mindful to maintain and develop the ethos and reputation of our school.