Governors are highly committed to the School and share the vision for high quality education which provides a happy, caring, and stimulating environment within the context of a ‘big family’ ethos and in which children demonstrate positive behaviour and strive to achieve their full potential academically, culturally and socially. This involves working closely with parents, carers, and the local community to encourage the children to be the best citizens they can possibly be.
The Governing Body of Witton-le-Wear Primary School has a strong focus on its three core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Head teacher to account for the educational performance of the School and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the School and making sure its money is well spent and gives best value.
The Governing Body of Witton-le-Wear Primary School 2019/20 is made up as follows:
- 5 Co-opted Governors
- 1 Associate Member
- 1 Authority Governor
- 4 Parent Governors
- 1 Head teacher
- 1 Staff
The full Governing Body meets once each term and we also have different committees to discuss and monitor different aspects of the School in detail. These include the standards & curriculum committee, the finance committee, pay review and performance management committee. We also have committees that meet if required to consider pupil discipline and staffing matters. Members of the Governing Body are also linked to aspects of the School Development Plan and meet with designated staff to discuss ongoing progress with key aspects of school development
Minutes of Governing Body and Committee meetings are public documents. You can ask at the School office if you would like to see any of the minutes of our meetings
Key Issues faced and addressed by the Governing Body
- Curriculum review and development in light of new September 2019 expectations
- Monitoring pupils’ ongoing progress and attainment using assessment tracking systems both short and longer term
- Monitoring the effectiveness of performance management in raising achievement and developing professional skills
- Ensuring continued effective financial management, best value and future financial provision
- Embedding continuing development of nursery and reception provision from September 2019 onwards
Assessment of Impact
- Individual subject areas are being planned and delivered to try and ensure continuity and progression so that children learn more, know more and remember more.
- Pupil Premium, Sports Premium, SEN funding and other targeted funds continue to be closely monitored and their impact is raising achievement, pupils’ confidence and levels of self esteem.
- Appropriate staffing has been secured for September 2019.
- Key identified policies and guidance documents continue to be adopted.
- A balanced budget for 2019/2020 has been set
Future plans for the Governing Body
- To continue to monitor, support and challenge the School in ensuring the best possible outcomes for all children within School – both academically and socially.
- To monitor the effectiveness of the new systems for assessing pupil attainment and progress across all year groups / cohorts within School, both in the short term and over time.
- To continue to ensure effective intervention programmes and systems are in place and monitored for our identified vulnerable groups of children
- To monitor the quality and impact of staff support, professional development and performance management for all staff across School – both teaching and non-teaching.
- To monitor the quality of curriculum provision and general resources across key areas of the School.
- To continue to give a high priority to all aspects of Safeguarding across the School and to make sure that systems, procedures and policies are in place to ensure its effectiveness.
- Governors to monitor the ongoing provision for our recently established nursery between 2019/20.
- To monitor our planned curriculum review during 2019/20.
The Governing Body welcomes suggestions, feedback and ideas from parents/carers. Please contact the Chair of Governors, Mrs. B. Watt c/o the School office.
You can see the full list of Governors on the “Our Governing Body” section on the School website.